WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, non-governmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1) To protect and restore marine biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin our work: future leader development, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning. WILDTRUST also owns several vessels (RV Angra Pequena and three <9m vessels) and provides support to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife in operating, maintenance, and certification of a >9m ski-boat and six <9m semi-rigid ducks. These vessels operate primarily off the province of KwaZulu-Natal, but also in western Indian Ocean (including Mozambique, Tanzania and Comoros) and other South African provinces.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the WILDOCEANS Senior Logistics and Operations Manager, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Skippering sea-going vessels in support of the WILDOCEANS research team and partners.
• Mentoring skippers of WILDOCEANS and supported partners.
• Administration, certification, logistics and maintenance of vessels and associated vehicles and trailers.
• Maintenance and updating of inventories for marine and research equipment.
• Servicing and preparation of research and compliance equipment for cruises and field operations.
• Developing and implementing standard operating procedure (SOPs) for safe operations on vessels.
• Staff and crew management and contract crew recruitment.
• Procurement of goods and services for the vessels, site yards and staff/crew.
• Management and reporting on specified budgets associated with the vessels and projects they support.
• Stakeholder engagement with donors, project partners, scientists and the Ocean Steward cohort.
• > 9m offshore vessel SAMSA Certificate of Competency (CoC), with night and dive support ratings. Master 200T Near-Coastal SAMSA CoC would be an advantage.
• In date valid STCW certificates.
• Experience operating out of Durban and Richards Bay harbours. Surf launching of vessels off the beaches of KwaZulu-Natal or Eastern Cape Coast from various launch sites and remote locations would be an advantage.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, dependable individual with good interpersonal and leadership qualities.
• Pilots’ exemption licences for Durban and Richards Bay would be an advantage.
• Able to engage with partners and stakeholders positively and effectively.
• Strong communication, organisational, technical, and problem-solving skills are required.
• Proficiency with use of MS Office, including Excel and Word, are required for administration and reporting.
• The successful candidate must have a in date driver’s licence.
Submit a covering letter with a 2-3 page CV, and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 01 March 2024 . Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The
WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience.