WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, nongovernmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world”. The organisation implements its work through two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1) To protect and restore marine and coastal biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements that underpin our work to enhance sustainability and impact, include: future leader development, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication,
and advocacy and campaigning.
WILDOCEANS is looking for a dynamic young person who is a passionate, productive individual, with good relational and communication skills. Essential qualities for this position include a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively. The Youth Coordinator will be responsible for the facilitation of youth involvement in projects and provide support to the youth movements associated with the WILDOCEANS Programme (e.g., Youth4MPAs & Justice 4 Jaws). Responsibilities will include campaign development, event coordination, administrative, financial and communications support to the youth movements as well as the coordination and development of youth related strategy and policy responses in support of key environmental issues that impact the youth in the context of South Africa’s oceans and coast.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the Project Manager, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Co-ordinate, organise and participate in regular youth movement project meetings to identify aligned opportunities.
• Ensure the youth movements are aligned in terms of deliverables, timelines and relevant South African ocean issues.
• Support the creation of youth position statements in response to key environmental and policy related issues.
• Co-ordinate and support the development and delivery of campaigns and strategic events which enable the youth to have their voice heard – including the 30×30 youth action plan and other youth driven campaigns.
• Support and mentorship for the youth movement steering committees.
• Undertake and supervise data management for the youth movements.
• Prepare and give written and oral presentations.
• Interact and communicate with a wide range of research partners, managers, government, and stakeholders.
• Budget management and project progress reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Honours or Masters (MSc) Degree in coastal biodiversity / biology / ecology / botany/ environmental science.
• 2-5 years relevant work experience
• Experience in campaign development and event coordination.
• Experience in working with the youth to mentor and deliver on projects timeously.
• Experience in working with policies and the development of position statements.
• Administration, and reporting experience, with proven track record.
• Driver’s licence.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and dependable individual.
• Good interpersonal and leadership qualities.
• Can engage with youth, partners and stakeholders effectively.
• Outstanding communication and writing skills are required.
• Highly organised with good experience in coordination and logistics.
• A creative individual with great ideas and the ability to follow-through with these into implementation.
• Good budget management capability required.
• Proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite.
Submit a covering letter with a 2–3-page CV, and at least 3 references to email@example.com by 17 November 2023. Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience