WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, nongovernmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through 2 programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on marine systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are to: 1) protect and restore marine and coastal biodiversity, and 2) build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin
our work: future leader development, youth support, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning.
WILDOCEANS is looking for a dynamic individual who is passionate, proactive, innovative and energetic, with good relationship, communication and co-ordination skills. Essential qualities for this position include a passion for youth leadership and youth advocacy development, a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and effectively. The candidate for this position will work across multiple projects, with the support and growth of the WILDOCEANS Ocean Stewards Fellowship and our multiple affiliate youth groups at the heart of it. You will be required to hold good relationships with various project
managers, the advocacy and communications team, and the youth networks. We’ll be expecting you to grow the youth agenda and programme with novel ideas, have the savvy to get the right input where needed, and then the confidence to back and run with them.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the Strategic Ocean Lead, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Development, implementation and growth of a youth leadership and support strategy – co-created with the youth and the various organisational leaders who play a role in youth support and advocacy.
• Management of the Oceans Stewards programme
• Supervision of the Ocean Stewards Co-ordinator and Assistant
• Support for WILDOCEANS associated and supported youth movements (e.g. Youth 4 MPA, Justice 4 Jaws)
• Support for youth initiatives across projects
• Co-ordination and facilitation of various online and in-person learning events to build capacity in youth networks.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree or equivalent level qualification in marine or related social and natural sciences.
• Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in leadership/youth development in conservation/community/ communications/advocacy projects, or related fields, demonstrating that the experience you do have aligns.
• Experience with co-ordination of online and in-person events and workshops, and/or organisation and co-ordination of youth networks.
• Experience with project management, administration, basic financial management and reporting.
• Experience being part of youth advocacy and campaigning (volunteer experience is applicable) would be an advantage.
• A driver’s licence is essential with confident and experienced driving skills, ideally with own vehicle.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Knowledge of the WILDOCEANS programme and all our youth work – its all-over social media – we expect you to have done your homework.
• High level of emotional and relational maturity, with natural leadership skills and a desire to hold a supportive space for the growth others.
• Excellent administrative, financial, communication and reporting skills.
• Proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite, especially Excel is essential.
• Proficiency in written and spoken English (isiZulu will be beneficial)
Submit a covering letter with not more than a 3-page CV, and at least recent 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2023. Qualification Certificates must NOT be submitted but must be
available on request. Applications that do not follow these requirements may be disregarded. The employment equity target groups are Coloured or African Females, however the Trust is open to all applications. WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a month after the closing
application date kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience.