WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit,
non-governmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through
two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine
systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1)
To protect and restore marine biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting
elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin our work: future leader development, science and
knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean
awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning.
The Senior GIS and Data Technician will report to the Senior Scientist and will provide a framework for coordinated
and structured development of a GIS and data management system across all WILDOCEANS projects, ensuring high
quality, accuracy and consistency in support of a dynamic team.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidates’ responsibilities and duties will include:
• Create and coordinate a structured GIS system across all WILDOCEANS projects (current and historical).
• Oversee, mentor and support GIS technicians working within various projects, including in the mapping of ecological and
social data for project areas for planning, assessments, data management and reporting.
• Ensure the development and implementation of integrative GIS projects, metadata protocols, data management, and storage systems across all WILDOCEANS projects (current and historical).
• Ensure security and continuity in spatial and other data sets across projects (current and historical).
• Liaison and engagement with other organisations regarding data access.
• Support budgeting (petty cash) and book-keeping procedures.
• Provide general administrative assistance (in the context of data management) for the project team.
• Carry out other specific projects/duties as specified by the Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Honours degree or Higher diploma (a Master’s degree would be an advantage) in natural sciences or engineering.
• 5-7 years relevant GIS work experience.
• Highly skilled in GIS software and R (or appropriate programming language, i.e. python).
• Administration, supervision of staff and reporting experience, with proven track record.
• Data management experience, with proven track record.
• Registration as a GIS Professional with SAGC (will be an advantage).
• Driver’s licence.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and dependable individual.
• Good interpersonal and leadership qualities.
• Can engage with partners and stakeholders effectively.
• Strong communication, organisational and technical skills are required.
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite.
Submit a covering letter with a 2-3 page CV, and at least 3 references to email@example.com by 13 November 2023. Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a
month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience.