WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, non-governmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1) To protect and restore marine biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin our work: future leader development, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning.
WILDOCEANS is looking for a dynamic early career scientist who is a passionate, productive individual, with good relationship and communication skills. Essential qualities for this position include a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and effectively. The project will evaluate the environmental, social, and economic risks and impacts of offshore
oil and gas exploration and extraction, based on the results of the first independent oil spill model for South Africa. The outputs from the oil spill model will be matched to the nature and characteristics of the coastal areas at risk, to address specific coastal bathymetry and oceanographic features, and coupled with the collection of social, ecological and biodiversity information for modelled vulnerable coastal areas, to enable realistic assessments of environmental, social and economic risks and level of impacts. The aim of the project is to support decision-makers in informed decision-making. This Biodiversity and Ecosystems
Scientist will focus on mapping biodiversity and ecosystems in the identified sensitive areas, and assessing the potential risk, to both fisheries and biodiversity, posed by oil pollution in relation to the impacts and vulnerabilities of different species and ecosystems in the identified areas along the coast. In addition, this Scientist will contribute to scientific comments and reports related to risks of seismic surveys and proposed offshore oil and gas exploration and production.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the Project Manager, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Co-ordinate, organise and participate in project meetings.
• Biodiversity mapping, field surveys and monitoring design and execution.
• Undertake and supervise data management and analysis and develop relevant GIS and other spatial products.
• Prepare reports and scientific publications and give written and oral presentations.
• Contribute to expert comments and evaluations of EIAs and environmental scopings for seismic surveys and oil and gas
exploration and production.
• Interact and communicate with a wide range of research partners and stakeholders.
• Supervise or contribute to supervision of Research Assistants, Technicians and Interns.
• Provide and interpret relevant information for the WILDOCEANS communications teams.
• Provide scientific decision-support advice to the project team and project partners.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Masters (MSc) Degree (a PhD would be an advantage) in marine biology / ecology / fisheries / geology.
• 1-2 years relevant work experience, with proven track record.
• Skilled in GIS and spatial analyses required (skills test before/after interview may be required).
• Proficiency in R (or appropriate programming language, i.e. python) would be an advantage.
• Administration, mentoring staff/interns and reporting experience, with proven track record.
• Driver’s licence.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and dependable individual.
• Good interpersonal and leadership qualities.
• Can engage with partners and stakeholders effectively.
• Strong communication, organisational and writing skills are required.
• Proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite, and
• Good data management and spatial analysis capability required.
Submit a covering letter with a 2-3 page CV, and at least 3 references to email@example.com by 13 November 2023.
Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience.