WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, nongovernmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine systems). The primary interlinked
goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1) To protect and restore marine and coastal biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin our work: future leader development, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning.
WILDOCEANS is looking for a dynamic early career scientist who is a passionate, productive individual, with good relationship
and communication skills. Essential qualities for this position include a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and effectively. The candidate for this position will work across two projects, 1) uThukela Marine Protected Area Ecosystem-based Adaptation Project and 2) the iSimangaliso Marine Protected Area Ecosystem-based Adaptation project. Both projects aim to build socio-ecological resilience to climate change impacts through ecosystem based adaptation approaches, and involve coastal and estuarine biodiversity survey and mapping, investigation of carbon mitigation and adaptation potential, and understanding of ecosystem services. In terms of coastal and estuarine ecosystems, the focus of the project is on those most relevant to mitigation and adaptation to climate change, such as coastal dune forests and riparian zones of rivers and estuaries.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the Project Manager, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Co-ordinate, organise and participate in project meetings.
• Biodiversity mapping, field surveys and monitoring design and execution.
• Undertake and supervise data management and analysis.
• Prepare reports and scientific publications.
• Prepare and give written and oral presentations.
• Interact and communicate with a wide range of research partners and stakeholders.
• Supervise or contribute to supervision of Research Assistants and Technicians.
• Provide supervision, mentorship and training of post-graduate coastal science students and interns working on
aspects of the project and related WILDOCEANS projects.
• Provide and interpret relevant information for the WILDOCEANS communications and ocean literacy awareness teams.
• Provide scientific decision-support advice to the project team and project partners.
• Contribute to the support and training of Ocean Stewards.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Masters (MSc) Degree (a PhD would be an advantage) in coastal biodiversity / biology / ecology / botany.
• 1-2 years relevant work experience.
• Experience in ecological field studies and/or biodiversity and ecosystem mapping and/or field surveys and
• Administration, mentoring staff/interns and reporting experience, with proven track record.
• Driver’s licence.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and dependable individual.
• Good interpersonal and leadership qualities.
• Can engage with partners and stakeholders effectively.
• Strong communication, organisational and writing skills are required.
• Good data management and spatial analysis capability required.
• Proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite.
Submit a covering letter with a 2-3 page CV, and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 November 2023. Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a
month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience