WILDOCEANS Programme: WILDTRUST (https://wildtrust.co.za/) is a South African not-for-profit, public benefit, non-governmental organisation, with a vision of “a thriving and resilient world” and implements its work through two programmes: WILDLANDS (focused on terrestrial systems) and WILDOCEANS (focused on coastal and marine systems). The primary interlinked goals of WILDOCEANS to deliver impact towards a thriving resilient world are: 1) To protect and restore marine biodiversity, and 2) To build resilience for coastal communities. Strategic cross-cutting elements to enhance sustainability and impact, underpin our work: future leader development, science and knowledge generation, support to decision-makers and management authorities, coastal community support, ocean awareness and communication, and advocacy and campaigning. WILDTRUST also owns several vessels (RV Angra Pequena and three <9m vessels) and provides support to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife in operating, maintenance, and certification of a >9m ski-boat and six <9m semi-rigid ducks. These vessels operate primarily off the province of KwaZulu-Natal, but also in the western Indian Ocean (including Mozambique, Tanzania and Comoros) and other South African provinces.
Project: uThukela Marine Protected Area Ecosystem-based Adaptation Project:
This 5-year project aims to build socio-ecological resilience to climate change for the people and biodiversity of the uThukela MPA, and its associated coastal climate-relevant ecosystems and vulnerable communities. The project aims to build conservation capacity and infrastructure, conduct ecosystem surveys and monitoring, restore, and protect climaterelevant ecosystems, support effective management of the MPA, deliver benefits and improved livelihoods for communities living adjacent to the MPA, and improve resilience to climate change through nature-based solutions.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
The candidate will report to the Project Senior Manager, and responsibilities and duties will include:
• Skippering sea-going vessels in support of the WILDOCEANS research team and partners, and MPA managers.
• Administration, certification, logistics and maintenance of the vessels and associated vehicles and trailers.
• Maintenance, inventories and preparation of research and compliance equipment used aboard vessels.
• Mentorship and training of WILDOCEANS team members and Ezemvelo staff.
• Developing and implementing standard operating procedure (SOPs) for safe operations linked to the vessels.
• Assisting with other WILDOCEANS projects’ field activities as required and where time allows, as requested
and sanctioned by the Project Manager
• >9m offshore vessel SAMSA Certificate of Competency, with night and dive support ratings.
• In date valid STCW certificates would be an advantage.
• Experience operating out of Durban and Richards Bay harbours.
• Surf launching of vessels off the beaches of KwaZulu-Natal or Eastern Cape Coast from various launch sites
and remote locations is required.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and dependable individual who has good interpersonal and leadership
• Able to engage with partners and stakeholders effectively.
• Strong communication, organisational and technical skills are required.
• Proficiency with use of MS Office, including Excel and Word, are required for administration and reporting.
Submit a covering letter with a 2-3 page CV, and at least 3 references to email@example.com by 19 October 2023. Certificates must be available on request but not included in the original application. The
WILDTRUST reserves the right to vary the requirements, or conditions, and not to fill these positions. Should you not receive a response within a month after the closing application date, kindly consider your application
unsuccessful. We offer competitive salaries based on qualifications and experience.